Cinciano certainly has Latin origins and perhaps was a part of Gens Cincia. In 1126 it was donated by Zaballina, widow of Ridolfino da Catignano, to the Bishop of Florence Gottifredo together with the castles of Linari and Catignano. It is also mentioned in the texts of 1292, when some land is let by the Bishop Andrea for the annual sum of 14 staia (an ancient unit of measure) of wheat.
The springs and the bath have been known since the thirteenth century. Due to its dominating position over the Elsa and its proximity to the ancient Poggio di Bonizio, form Bonizio Segni the local landowner, in a strategic position on the Via Francigena (the route followed by pilgrims on their way to Rome), there were a lot of ups and downs until its annexing to the Republic of Florence.